Piers Morgan says job offers have ‘accelerated’ after Ofcom win over Meghan

Piers Morgan has hinted at a potential move abroad, and is celebrating an increase in job offers that he says has "accelerated" following Ofcom's ruling over his comments about Meghan Markle.

The broadcaster, 56, revealed the news that the broadcast regulator had ruled in his favour yesterday, after he famously quit Good Morning Britain earlier this year.

Many fans have been calling for his return to the show in the wake of the ruling, but Piers says he's receiving job offers left, right and centre.

Speaking outside his home on Wednesday, he said: "I have had loads of offers and they have accelerated in the last 10 hours, as you can imagine"

Suggesting a possible move abroad, he continued: "I will take my free speech campaign around the world. All I require is to have an employer who believes in it as passionately as I do."

He insists he is a "valuable commodity", as he says GMB achieved its highest ratings on the day he quit.

Piers said: "I’m considering some very interesting offers right now and I will make a decision quite soon.

"This is a landmark ruling by Ofcom today. This is Ofcom saying I and any other broadcaster is entitled to say to a public figure, 'I don’t believe you'.

"Because if they had gone the other way and said I had to believe Meghan Markle even when she was lying, where does that leave us with Government ministers who I was challenging during the pandemic?’

Ofcom's ruling read in part: "The interview between the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Oprah Winfrey contained serious allegations and it was legitimate for this programme to discuss and scrutinise those claims including their veracity.

"Ofcom is clear that, consistent with freedom of expression, Mr Morgan was entitled to say he disbelieved the Duke and Duchess’s allegations and to hold and express strong views that rigorously challenged their account.

"The Code allows for individuals to express strongly held and robustly argued views, including those that are potentially harmful or highly offensive, and for broadcasters to include these in their programming.

"The restriction of such views would, in our view, be an unwarranted and chilling restriction on freedom of expression both of the broadcaster and the audience."

Earlier, Piers also tweeted asking if he could have his GMB job back, and former co-host Susanna Reid shared tweets about the decision.

For more of the latest showbiz news from Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.

Source: Read Full Article