Russell Brand denies Dispatches documentary claims
Russell Brand and Sir Rod Stewart got into a very public spat after the comedian made a crude jibe about the rocker’s daughter, Kimberly.
While accepting the Most Stylish award at the GQ Man of the Year Awards in 2006, Russell, now 48, addressed Rod from the stage and said: “Here’s to Rod Stewart who had a go at me earlier this year for too much womanising. But then again, I did have a go on his daughter.”
The joke did not go down well with Rod, 78, and he hit back at the comedian when he took to the stage to pick up his Outstanding Achiever award.
He raged: “You went with my daughter, did you? Russell, stand up.”
Russell then sheepishly stood up and replied: “I took her out for one evening,” prompting the rocker to ask: “Did you behave yourself?”
Russell then backtracked on his original remark, saying: “I never touched that girl,” to which Rod retaliated: “F***ing right you didn’t. You mustn’t come up here and boast. I speak here as a father.”
It was reported that Russell apologised to the Maggie May singer after the ceremony, but that Rod later said he had no time for the comic.
He told the Evening Standard at the time: “He might be a bit of a player but he shouldn’t boast. I never did. Russell’s been a bit timid since I had my say.”
Russell is currently facing allegations of sexual assault during the height of his fame between 2006-2013.
In a Sunday Times and Channel 4 Dispatches investigation published over the weekend, four women accused him of rape, sexual assault and emotional abuse.
He has denied all allegations, slamming them as “aggressive attacks”.
In a pre-emptive video posted to YouTube, Russell admitted to being “promiscuous” but said all his relationships were “consensual”.
The Metropolitan Police has confirmed it is “aware” of the accusations and encouraged anyone who believes they have been a victim of sexual assault to come forward.
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
The force said in a statement: “We are aware of media reporting of a series of allegations of sexual assault.
“At this time, we have not received any reports in relation to this. If anyone believes they have been the victim of a sexual assault, no matter how long ago it happened, we would encourage them to contact police.”
Channel 4 and production company Banijay UK, which produced Big Brother and its spin-offs, have both launched investigations.
The BBC also said it was “urgently looking into the issues raised”.
Source: Read Full Article