Fox News Flash top entertainment headlines for June 2
Fox News Flash top entertainment and celebrity headlines are here. Check out what’s clicking today in entertainment.
Buckingham Palace barred ethnic minorities from office jobs during the 1960s, the Guardian newspaper reported, citing documents in the United Kingdom’s National Archives.
The revelation, published on the newspaper’s front page, was based on papers showing that Queen Elizabeth’s chief financial manager told civil servants in 1968 that it was not the palace’s practice to hire “coloured immigrants or foreigners” for clerical posts and other office jobs.
The palace replied forcefully to the historical allegations, stressing that the queen and her household comply “in principle and in practice” with anti-discrimination legislation.
“Claims based on a second-hand account of conversations from over 50 years ago should not be used to draw or infer conclusions about modern-day events or operations,” a palace spokesman said, speaking on the customary condition of anonymity.
Members of the royal family gather on the balcony of Buckingham Palace, with from left, Prince Charles, Camilla the Duchess of Cornwall, Prince Andrew, Queen Elizabeth II, Meghan the Duchess of Sussex, Prince Harry, Prince William and Kate the Duchess of Cambridge, as they watch a flypast of Royal Air Force aircraft pass over Buckingham Palace.
In the ensuing storm, Prince William, Harry’s older brother, defended the royal family, stating flatly that “we’re very much not a racist family.”
Prince William previously defended the royal family against claims of racism following his brother Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s interview with Oprah Winfrey.
In their statement released after the interview aired, Buckingham Palace said the family was “saddened” to learn of the couple’s struggles and noted that the allegations surrounding race were “concerning,” but added that “some recollections may vary.”
Elsewhere in his and Markle’s interview, Harry said the royal family cut him off financially at the start of 2020 after announcing plans to step back from his roles. But he was able to afford security for his family because of the money his mother, Princess Diana, left behind.
Subsequent interviews following the CBS special have shown Harry discuss tensions between him and his brother, Prince William, and his father, Prince Charles.
In early 2020, the Sussexes announced their decision to step back as senior members of the royal family. They have since relocated to California with their two-year-old son. The are also expecting the arrival of their daughter sometime this summer.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Source: Read Full Article