BBC newsreader George Alagiah will begin “a new regime of treatment” to deal with a recent recurrence of cancer, his agent has said.
Mary Greenham said in a statement: “George Alagiah will aim to be on-air as much as possible but may need to reduce his workload in the next few weeks as he begins a new regime of treatment to deal with a recent recurrence of his cancer.
“He is always grateful to the public for the tremendous support he has received.”
Back in 2014, it was announced that George was being treated for colorectal cancer.
“George Alagiah will aim to be on-air as much as possible but may need to reduce his workload in the next few weeks”
A statement at the time from the BBC said: “He is grateful for all the good wishes he has received thus far and is optimistic for a positive outcome.”
Last year, George revealed that his bowel cancer had returned in December 2017 forcing him to take more time off.
He returned to BBC One’s News at Six early this year.
The 63-year-old underwent several rounds of chemotherapy and three operations, with one removing most of his liver.
However his stage four bowel cancer returned in 2017 despite the treatment.
In 2018, George explained that his cancer could have been caught much earlier with better screening.
He tweeted: “My cancer was caught late, very late.
“Earlier screening is the key. Simply no reason why others should have to go through all the treatment that I’ve had.”
In a previous interview with the Sunday Times, he said: “Had I been screened, I could have been picked up.
“Had they had screening at 50, like they do in Scotland… I would have been screened at least three times and possibly four by the time I was 58 and this would have been caught at the stage of a little polyp: snip, snip.”
George returned to present News at Six in January 2019 after more than a year off screens.
Source: Read Full Article